How many times in Texas have you said, “Where are my car keys?” or been late to an appointment because you had to run around the house for fifteen minutes trying to figure out where you put them? Even worse, have you ever found yourself unable to open your car doors only to peer into the window and see all the locks secured and your keys dangling from the ignition or lying on the driver’s seat? Either of these situations can be make a terrible impact on your day, especially if it is dark, cold, rainy, or a particularly pressing engagement. If this happens to you, stay calm and call a car locksmith.
Replacing your lost car keys, or getting into your locked car, is a simple task for a professional locksmith. These workers are skilled at the creating and getting past locks. They understand the complicated series of moving parts that make up a lock, whether it be for a house, a shed, a business, or a car. Because each type of lock poses different parts, a locksmith needs to know how each works, how it is made, and how they will be able to breach it should someone need to open a lock in Texas for which they have lost the key. When it comes to houses, locksmiths are not just able to open a lock, but can completely change them. This can mean actually changing the entire mechanism or just “re-keying”. Re-keying refers to modifying the lock so that previous keys will not work and a new one will be necessary. This is a good idea if you lose your house keys or a person whom you do not want to be is in possession of a set.
Cars are a little different for locksmiths. Getting in to a locked car is sometimes called “popping” the lock because it requires manipulation of the lock mechanism that results in the manual lock “popping” up. This service will enable you to get in your car if you have locked yourself out or in an emergency when you absolutely need to get inside but cannot find your keys.
Locksmiths are also skilled at cutting keys. Taking advantage of this and getting extra copies of your car keys, both door and ignition, is a good idea even if you have never lost your keys or gotten locked out of your car. Some locksmiths recommend keeping an extra set of keys in a magnetic lock box under your car, or keeping a spare door key outside and a spare ignition key inside. Keeping an extra ignition key inside the car will enable you to actually use the car should you lose your keys and need a locksmith only to let you inside.
What is a Locksmith?
Locksmith services become urgent when:
- You are locked out of your home or car
- Your locks are worn out and need to be replaced
- You are shifting to a new home and need to replace the locks for security reasons
Having an idea about locksmith costs beforehand will save you from being overcharged or taken any undue advantage of while caught in an emergency. This is very important in light of the rising locksmith scams perpetrated by fake locksmiths who may not have any professional training or license. They advertise locally but in reality they are not local at all. They have been found to use intimidating tactics and overcharge people caught in emergencies such as when they are locked out of their homes, offices, or cars. Wen calling a locksmith, make sure to know the company-specific name rather than a typical one like "locksmith services."
How Do Locksmiths Charge?
The cost of a locksmith depends upon the following factors:
1. Type of Service - Whether you want to install new locks in your home or desperately want to get in when locked out of your home or car, you must keep in mind that these services require a particular skill set on the part of a locksmith. Some locksmiths are specifically licensed to install particular kinds of locks and security systems. Some of the common services provided by locksmiths are:
- Key duplication
- Opening a locked door of the home/office
- Opening a locked door of the car
- Replacing locks of different types
- Opening a broken or malfunctioning lock
- Installing surveillance systems
A locksmith will charge you depending upon the type of service and the urgency of the situation. Some tasks might need more labor, skill, or time on his part while others may need les, thus he will charge accordingly.
2. Type of Lock - The cost of a locksmith also depends upon the type and complexity of the lock to be serviced. The more difficult a lock is to operate, the higher the cost of a locksmith. For example, deadbolt locks are very difficult to open. Similarly, electronic locks are also a challenge to open as they need a code or fingerprint to open.
3. Availability - The cost of a locksmith also depends upon whether or not he is available at the moment you make a call. Some locksmith companies have technicians around the clock throughout the year as well as an emergency mobile workshop to reach out to people caught in emergencies.
General Locksmith Costs in the United States
Let's have a look at locksmith costs in Maricopa County in the United States -
- Labor for repairs during regular business hours costs around $95
- Labor for repairs after hour service work costs around $117
- Labor for repairs during weekend service works also costs around $117
- Labor for repairs for holiday service work costs around $138
- Charges for any additional service outside the scope of work is $95
Being aware of locksmith costs in your area protects you from falling victim to unfair practices of fraudulent locksmiths. Also, you must make sure that the locksmith you call carries a state-mandated license before entrusting the task to him.
Lock and Key Services
Many people are under the impression that the job of the locksmith is just confined to designing locks and breaking it open or making duplicate keys for us if we lose our originals. However, this image is totally wrong. It's true that the locksmiths perform these jobs, but apart from these, there are a lot of places where a locksmith can work or that demand the skills of locksmiths. Some of the places where a locksmith can have promising future are, locksmith shops, hardware and department store, large industrial plants, safe and lock manufactures and also for themselves. This article tells in details the type of opportunities available to a locksmith.
It's true that most of the locksmiths open up their own businesses and become self employed. They then offer services like re-keying the homes, acting as security consultants for home, changing the locks of the homes, keeping the security of the home up-to-date, helping you when you are locked out of your own car or home and along with this all, some locksmiths may also begin mobile services which will come to help you anytime you call them. Along with all that they offer 24 hours services seven days a week. Apart from choosing this option, the locksmiths can work in car dealerships. Car dealerships have to constantly change locks to ensure the car safety, so locksmiths can change these locks for them or design new and better locks for the cars increasing the security of the car and reducing the risk of theft.
Next there are opportunities for the locksmiths in the construction companies. Like they may be asked to re-key the home, or install a new security system or have the house installed with the latest locks etc. moreover, these locksmiths may be asked to pick locks on a old renovation or design new locks and master keys for new homes. Then there are locksmiths who work in the retails stores which sell home or office security equipments. The role of the locksmith there is to hear the problem of the customer and recommend him the equipment which he can solve his problem. The things that are usually sold at these shops are, padlocks, or producing duplicate keys, selling safes, or selling lock picking tools the authorized person.
Along with all this, some locksmiths work for companies who make safes. The locksmiths there are used to design the new locks and safe which are theft proof so that the goods stored inside the safe is properly protected. Moreover, they also repair the locks on the old safes or the new ones when a customer complains. They also change the locks or open the safe if the key has been lost by the person. They are also used by fire and police department to open the lock door of the home or office in a case of emergency or if police needs to break in a home without a mess and look around for some evidence. So it could be easily said that there are a lot of opportunities for the locksmiths and their job isn't dull at all.